Saturday, February 12, 2011

MY WINTER MEMORIES!

David... my baby brother!

 As a child I remember our hill that went from Bryants to Rayments. We used to like to sled down that hill. I don't remember a lot of snow when we were kids. But I do remember ice. I remember when we would walk in the woods behind Charlie and Cecil Gore's. Looking back it must have had a lot of alder because it was pretty swampy. Not deep... just a lot of puddles.  Lots of puddles!!!!!  And in the winter they would freeze. Some would be big enough to slide across.... that was always fun! We loved ice. Most of the time we would just walk through and break the ice. In Kirkland we went to the Gold Creek Ice Skating Rink almost every Saturday night. Berta's cousin, Linda Raper, would take us. I loved her. She reminded me of Linda Ronstadt. I thought she looked like her and could sing like her and she played this awesome instrument like an auto harp (I think it was called?).  Anyway... she would take us to the skating rink and we would all pile in her car and it was SO much fun! We learned to ice skate pretty good.  In fact Rick and I would play like we owned an ice rink in his wreck room and skate around the pool table! That is how much we love skating!

Some thing I don't remember by my dad told the story often enough... he thought it was so funny. The story goes that mom bundled us up to go outside to play in the snow.  Well... dad and his partner with the water district drove by the house and there I was in the yard stark naked. Took off everything but my smile. Dad was soooo mad at mom for letting me out like that. He calmed down when he heard the story.  I imagine I got in trouble. I was only about 3 years old, I suppose.

When Karla and Kevon were young I remember going outside with them .... I didn't sled anymore but playing was fun. They loved playing with their dad and Uncle David and Jon Fox.  Except the older guys always got rough and started riding motorcycles and towing each other so I would bring the kids in for hot cocoa.

After we merged families... I never had to go out.  All five kids would just play with each other.. sledding, snowball fights, forts, igloos, snowmen, etc... They had lots of fun!  I remember on our 1st wedding anniversary it snowed. We had all 5 kids. It was fun. The frozen cake top was so nasty but it was so beautiful watching the snow fall that night and being all together playing games.
Ryan, Karla, Tara, Heather and Kevon

Ryan and Kevon and their Ninja Turtle!
 
The deepest snow was when 1996. We lost Karla for a few days... she couldn't get home. We all know how turned out. lol!  Andrew was 10 months old and it was him and Amanda's first big snow. It snowed over 2 feet that week! It was so fun!

Now it is just Papa and I and we live across the bridge. We love seeing the snow... but don't drive in it anymore. Not worth the risk. Christmas 2 years ago we did have to risk...we had to go to mom's! We couldn't get into her driveway so we had to walk from Libby's to moms!  Had a quick dinner and crept back home!

It is so fun to see the beauty of the snow flakes. Only the visual makes it fun... Toby and Punkin are not huge fans.  A few times we've been lucky enough to have some grandkids... and when we do we go to the big hill at the beach!  One family Christmas it snowed here... everyone was in a hurry to get the presents opened because they were getting worried about the weather. ;D It was all good!

I will post pictures when it works! ;D

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Lots of similar memories. Those were the days, my friend, I thought they'd never end.
I could do without the snakes, as I counted eight...eight...eight sunning themselves out my kitchen window area last week before the snow storm took away their patio.

Stroll down memory lane with me! It is so fun!

Stroll down memory lane with me! It is so fun!
Stroll down memory lane with me! It is so fun!