Sunday, February 20, 2011

CARS!

Today I am writing about cars! Could be a long one!  Hmmm childhood cars. To still have these cars would rock. The first one I remember was an old Nash. I don't remember ever riding in it... but I remember playing in it. The front seats laid back and made a double bed! lol! That was so cool. What I remember most about that car is being about 8 years old and Rick Rayment and I lighting up Camel Cigarette butts from the ashtray and his dad busting us.  That was the end of us playing in the car.  I don't think we were suppose to play in it in the first place.
I remember this car ... the Pontiac! Dad loved this car. My biggest memory of this car was our trip to South Dakota.  WHAT were they thinking???  There was 5 kids and 2 adults.  Dad and mom sat in the front and the rest of us took turns sitting up in the middle.  The rest of us had the back. We didn't stop ... just kept driving and got something to eat once in awhile to keep us from whining. Dad hated to stop when he was younger. David was the smallest and slept up in the back window. I was jealous.  I slept mostly on the floor with pillows and blankets. The rumble of the car would put me to sleep. I don't even know if there was seat belts back then.... I don't think so. It was quite a trip. Especially when David pooped his diaper and it was like 100 outside. Ewwww.  Funny how I still remember the smell!

Our next trip we took back to South Dakota was in our Ford Country Squire.  Coolest car with wood on the side and a very, very back seat!!! Loved it. We got to ride with the back window down!


I loved going to the beach in it... we had so much room! No seat belts again!!! We always begged to ride on the tail gate... but I don't recall ever being able to. lol!  Our was blue.  It was a great car!

Dad had other cars growing up. I remember when Doug was in Viet Nam dad drove his Pinto! Doug's was blue.... and I remember dad coming to pick me up after a dance in high school and asking him if we could give a few of my friends a ride home!  It ended up being Maria... about 10 miles one direction... then to Suquamish about 22 miles from there... and then Kingston was another 10. Dad was so kind. We packed about 7 kids in that car!!!! Plus dad!

Dad taught me to drive... plus driver's ed with Mr. Don Johnson (the counselor). My sister in law Rita taught me how to drive a stick shift... 3 on the tree!  We would go up and down the road we lived on. She was so patient.   Doug, my brother, tried to teach me to drive his pinto and I put it in the ditch in our driveway.He was livid! He made me cry... and then he got in trouble from mom for yelling at me! haha! Last time I drove with him and the only time I remember him yelling at me. Usually he saved his yelling for Lois. ;D

My first car was a Ford Galaxy! Blue!  Loved that car!  After getting married we had tons of cars! Doug gave us a Buick LaSabre Riveara to Dave and I to start our marriage.

Over the years there are so many vehicles I've had!  My fondest memories will always be in our 1969 Dodge Van!

That was the Aquarium!  We went with the kids on road trips to Lake Sylvia, Pacific Ocean, the Oregon Coast, Eastern Washington, Mount Rainier, parks and that doesn't even mention how often we went camping in it!  We took my parents on day trips to Mt Walker, the North Cascade Highway, out for drives and meals, and back and forth to South Dakota in it. Lanny and I even went to Oklahoma in it! I slept in the back!  I'm closing with some fond memories in the van!




2 comments:

Joleen said...

So fun, Joyce! I'm really glad you're doing this. Isn't it amazing how a question, or two, can spark so many memories? I really enjoyed the read.

Joyce said...

Thanks Joleen! It is fun! I'm so glad you started it! I'm not the writer you are, but I still enjoy remembering... before I totally forget! lol!

Stroll down memory lane with me! It is so fun!

Stroll down memory lane with me! It is so fun!
Stroll down memory lane with me! It is so fun!