Today is Father's Day. My dad passed away October 5, 2004. Broke my heart. I didn't expect it. We actually expected it for 4 years.... we just never knew. He was suppose to get out of the hospital the next day... he died at Harrison Memorial.
You see, my dad had emphysema and on Y2K night.... Jan 1 2000... he stopped breathing and was rushed to the hospital. He was on a respirator for 4 days.... leaving mom with the decision to remove him or not because they could not wean him off the machine. Terrible time for my mom. The good Lord brought him back to us!!!! She never had to make the call.
There were ramifications.... over the 4 years he ended up losing both legs from the knees down because no circulation reached the toes during the time he didn't breathe.
All that being said.... my dad was the strongest man I ever knew. Seriously. My dad was born at home in a very the very small town of Veblen, South Dakota to Sigvard and Elizabeth Langager.
They had 4 of their own children.... Mildred, Jacob, Selmer and Leonard. Selmer was killed in action during World War 2. My dad lost his mother when he was about 19 years old.... she died in the Sisseton hospital from a burst appendix. My grandpa (his dad) lived until the age of 88. He is the only grandparent I ever knew. I was 11 when he died in Iowa.
Back to my dad....he worked as a back hoe operator for as long as I can remember. But most of all I remember him as a fix-it man! Dad could fix anything. And he did! Mom rarely got new things because dad would just fix the old.
I fondly think of his smile and laugh. His eyes would light up when he would smile. And he laughed a lot! Loved his laugh. He would laugh sometimes until he would have to wipe tears from his eyes. He loved a good joke, he loved to tease my mom or anyone of us girls too. Especially Lois. ;D He wasn't into movies much (he loved cartoons though!). He did like comedies.... loved Grumpy Old Men. I remember when we took him to the theater to see it.... that was a tear wiping movie. lol!
When I say my dad was strong... what I mean is the day he found out he had emphysema... he stopped smoking that day. When he stopped drinking beer.... it was one day. When we traveled and he couldn't breathe in the higher elevations... he never complained. When he had to have the first foot removed.... he still kept a positive attitude and did what he had to do. He believed it is what it is and you deal with it. I don't know if I could have handled all the pain or changes. It was hard for him ... but he didn't complain. Instead he cracked jokes .... like now he'll have twice as many socks, and now he really IS a one legged man in a butt kicking contest. He learned to walk on crutches and did good when he got his prosthetic leg. He could still drive and get around. When he lost his second leg.... he never gave up.... he was tired but still brave.
I love my dad.
![]() |
| He loved animals.... especially dogs! |
![]() |
| He loved the mountains... especially Elkhorn River |
| His favorite Christmas saying "Bah- humbug!" |
![]() |
| The love of his life.... my mama! |
| I got to dance with my dad. |
![]() |
| My dad and Uncle Alvin clowning around. |









2 comments:
Wonderful and poignant tribute to your dad, Joyce. Thank you so much for sharing your obvious love for him. I am so sorry you didn't get to keep him here longer. He certainly gives you a reason to look forward to the hereafter, doesn't he? :)
Beautiful tribute for Grandpa, Aunt Joyce! I miss him so much. He was the only Grandpa I knew.
Post a Comment