TV was a huge thing!!! Growing up we had a black and white TV. To get good reception we had to adjust rabbit ears. The knob was broken off so we had to use a bottle opener to turn the channels.... and there weren't that many!
The three main network stations were KOMO (ABC), KING (NBC) and KIRO (CBS). We also got KTNT Channel 11 (now KSTW CW 11). These were the local shows we loved as kids!
![]() |
| KOMO 4 had Captain Puget. Captain Puget was on in the afternoon. |
![]() |
| KING 5 had the Stan Boreson show, known as King’s Klubhouse, every afternoon.... starring Stan Boreson and his dogs Nomo and Tallulah. Zero dachus, Mucho Crackus Hallaballooza Bub! |
![]() | ||
| The Brakeman Bill Show with sidekick (puppet) Crazy Donkey program showed Popeye cartoons and Bugs Bunny, and had a huge electric train set in the studio that Brakeman Bill operated. |
![]() |
| My favorite!!! |
The Ultimate kid show was JP Patches, (Julius Pierpont Patches).... the mayor of the city dump. He was on mornings and afternoons! He had a cartoon pocket, announced birthdays of selected Patches Pals by "viewing" them on his "ICU2TV" set (a cardboard prop J.P. could look at you from inside your television). He predicted where a gift might be hidden in the child's house with amazing accuracy. He also showed Superman re-runs and they did a lot of practical jokes. Some of the jokes were over the heads of the kids. There was JP and his girlfriend Gertrude (the telephone operator), Sturdley the Bookworm, Esmerelda, Ketchikan the Animal Man, Boris S. Wort (the "second meanest man in the world"), LeRoy Frump, Tikey Turkey (a rubber chicken), Grandpa Tick Tock (a grandfather clock), The Swami of Pastrami, Ggoorrsstt the Friendly Frpl (a one-eyed brown shag carpet), Miss Smith (a motorcycle riding delivery woman who told mostly awful jokes), Superclown (a JP like superhero), J.P.'s evil counterpart P. J. Scratches (I.M. Rags) The entire supporting cast, male and female, human or non-human, was played by one guy... Bob Newman! They were the only clowns that didn't scare me!
![]() |
| I was a Patches Pal!!!! It's what we all strived to be! |
![]() |
| Ok.. Gertrude kind of freaked me out a little... maybe because she was a he? |
![]() |
| The Shari Lewis show was on Saturday mornings...with Shari, Lamb Chop, Hush Puppy and Charlie Horse. She sang a lot and was a great ventriloquist! |
I can't forget two other childhood icons... Wunda Wunda and Soupy Sales.
I remember getting our dance moves watching American Bandstand on Saturdays with Dick Clark. It was like watching people dance to records... and they'd have a special guest come sing. The Ed Sullivan show was a treat too!!!
We watched Batman.... that was a great show!!!! So much action! And bad people!!!!
I don't remember watching a lot of westerns... but dad loved F-Troop and McHale's Navy. We also watched Get Smart, Gomer Pyle, Bewitched, Gilligan's Island, Honey West, Lassie, Flipper, Leave it to Beaver, I Love Lucy, The Andy Griffith Show (I remember being home sick during the day and it was on.. whenever I hear the whistle I still can picture that couch and TV!). I loved Man from U.N.C.L.E! Hard to believe my heartthrob David McCallum is the same man who now plays Ducky on NCIS! What was I thinking? He looked a lot different back then! We also watched My Favorite Martian, Courtship of Eddie's Father, Mr Ed, My Three Sons, Outer Limits (although I admit it was a bit scary for me!), Speaking of scary... let's not forget The Addams Family (where I learned to snap my fingers) and The Munsters! Plus Beverly Hillbillies, Dick Van Dyke Show, and Flying Nun. One of us girls favorites was Petticoat Junction! We all got to dibs a girl to be and they were all pretty. We used to fight over who was going to be who in TV shows! We all wanted to be Marilyn in the Munsters (for obvious reasons!) But with Petticoat Junction we were all pretty!
Saturday morning cartoons were awesome... Alvin and the Chipmunks, Bugs Bunny and his friends, Yogi Bear, the Jetsons, the Flintstones, the Huckleberry Hound Show (which was my little brothers favorite!), Scooby Doo, Rocky and Bullwinkle, Quick Draw McGraw and Popeye! I know there are a ton more I didn't mention! The Beatles and the Monkees even came out with cartoons!
Mom liked Perry Mason... and game shows like I've Got a Secret, Hollywood Squares, Password, Match Game, To Tell the Truth, Sale of the Century, and the Art Linkletter Show. She was never into Soaps.
To tell the truth it looked like we watched a lot of TV... but we actually didn't. This was over the years... we played outside so much!!! I don't remember us being inside too often.
Now that you've read this list... how many of the theme songs do you still remember? I remember a ton! Lots of knowledge in this brain of mine!!! lol!












1 comment:
OMG! How did you ever remember all of those shows? They're all familiar to me. I'll have to update my entry. Thanks :)
Post a Comment